[Techtalk] kicking unwanted users off the network

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Mon Jan 15 02:44:31 UTC 2007

Carla Schroder wrote:
> hey all, I remember once upon a time there was a simple way to boot users off
> the network, as long as you knew their IP address. But I forgot, and my
> google-fu is failing me- what ways are there to punt off unwanted users?

What sort of network are you talking about? I know my wireless router
has the ability to block off computers based on their mac address, and
the wireless router admin page also gives me the ability to find out a
mac address using a particular ip. If you are running your own dhcp
server, the leases file will give the mac address of the computer using
the ip address, and then you can deny service to that mac address. Are
you using a dhcp server, or how are the users getting their ips?

Hope this helps,
Maria