[Techtalk] debian etch, modem and kppp

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 00:11:36 UTC 2007

On 2/15/07, Mike Carter <mikecar52 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, yes it was.
>
> On 16/02/07, Wim De Smet <kromagg at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 2/15/07, Mike Carter <mikecar52 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks Wim,
> > > I got : debian2:/# modprobe slmr
> > > FATAL: Module slmr not found.
> >
> > --> shouldn't this be "slamr"?
> >
> > > I read my dmesg log and there is no reference to a modem.
> > > However kde kinfocenter agrees it is here.  BTW works fine on windows.

Hmm I'm not used to using kinfocenter. Try the following as root:
uname -r
-will give you the version of your current running kernel
-check if the module is indeed in /lib/modules/<version>/ (and not
installed for some other kernel version)
- then try to load it with insmod instead of modprobe
insmod /lib/modules/<version/.../slamr.ko
and note what kind of output this gives in errors etc.

greets,
Wim