[Techtalk] debian etch, modem and kppp

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 18:32:27 UTC 2007

On 2/13/07, Mike Carter <mikecar52 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have debian testing installed on my lucent modemmed laptops.  I
> cannot get slmodem to work on the  kernel.  It says slamr not found or
> something similar.  I installed as per debian instructions.  Anyone
> have any ideas on how to make it work.  Previously I haven't been able
> to get kppp working with debian testing either as user.  All help
> greatly appreciated.
> cheers

Have you built the drivers in sl-modem-source and installed them? If
so it might be a bug in sl-modem-daemon but I'd have to check the
version in testing. If you built the drivers did you perhaps forget to
install the debian package it generates? If you haven't, can you check
if slamr.ko is somewhere to be found in
/lib/modules/<your-kernel-version>/?

I'm not sure about kppp but if it still works about the same as in the
old days it calls the pon(1) script. The ppp docs contain this rather
cryptic sentence:
Access to pppd is controlled via the membership in the "dip" group.
Which I take to mean that you need to be in the dip group to actually
use the pon script as a local user. Try adding yourself to this group
(adduser <yourname> dip), log out, log in and try again.

greets,
Wim