[Techtalk] Projects that respond well to bug reports

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Feb 12 19:55:06 UTC 2007

At Linuxconf AU a few weeks ago, I gave a talk on "Bug Fixing for
Non Programmers" which included a section on how to characterize,
reproduce and report a bug.

I mentioned that some projects aren't terribly responsive to bug
reports, and not to get discouraged by that.  One of the questions
at the end of the talk was: "What are some projects that DO read
bug reports, care about them and respond in a friendly way?"

I'm sorry to say that I had a hard time thinking of any major
projects fitting that description, only tiny projects.  Seems like
once a project grows past a certain size, the number of bugs gets
too big and a lot of the developers stop reading their bug mail.
(For instance, Ubuntu used to be terrific but now most bug reports
languish for years without developer comment.)

But I know there are projects out there that respond well to
bug reports and are good places for people to report bugs.
What are some good projects? Let's get a list going highlighting
the projects that really care. Any nominations?

	...Akkana