[Techtalk] Re: Techtalk Digest, Vol 48, Issue 4

Robyn M rob_39 at bigpond.com
Sat Feb 10 00:09:57 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007 08:13:09 -0800 (PST)
Melanie <linuxgrrlv2 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hi Robyn,
>
> > What sort of network card do you have and do you
> > know if it is working?
>
> I know it works in windows, as that's what I started
> with and there were no errors.
>
> > you may need to be root to do this. If you could
> > copy the line about
> > Ethernet Controller here that'd be best.
>
> 03:05.0 FireWire (IEEE1394) Agere Systems FW323 (rev
> 70)
>
> 03:0a.0 Communication Controller: Agere Systems:
> Unknown device 0620
>
> 00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corp MCP51 Ethernet Controller
> (rev a3)
>
> 00:02.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corp C51 PCI Express Bridge
> (rev a1)
>
> I saw that MCP51 was also associated with; IDE, USB,
> RAM, SMBus...?

There is nothing here that says Ethernet Controller so I'm surmising
that it's not being detected. Could you tell us what windows says the
network card is, or if you have the manual, what that says.

A newer version of Linux may help.

> > The command to use in a terminal screen to see if
> > your network card is
> > there is
> >
> > ifconfig
> >

> lo  Link endcap : Local Loopback
>     inet addr: 127.0.0.1 Mask: 255.0.0.0
>     inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope: Host
>     UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric: 1
>     RX packets: 160 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0
> frame: 0
>     TX packets: 160 errors:0 dropped: 0 overruns: 0
> carrier: 0 collisions: 0 txquelen: 0
>     RX bytes: 12640 (12.3 KiB)
>     TX bytes: 12640 (12.3 KiB)
>
> And, that's all she wrote...
>
> ~Mel
There is no eth0 so this is the problem.

Regards

Robyn

--
And above all society needs to encourage the spirit of voluntary
cooperation in its citizens. When software owners tell us that