[Techtalk] double installation of Ubuntu and grub

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Feb 6 22:48:16 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 13:54, Roberta Gallini wrote:
> > I believe Ubuntu automatically creates GRUB menu entries when you install
> > new kernels. If it doesn't, they are easy to add manually.
>
> I know that it does, but will the Grub create them also in the "other"
> installation?

That's a good question, and I don't know.

> > No, not if your current /boot/grub/menu.lst is in the Dapper root
> > partition. But you can easily restore GRUB from a bootable Linux CD if
> > you wipe out Dapper.
>
> How do I do this?

When you boot a CD Linux, run this command:

# grub

You'll see some messages about probing the system, then you'll see the GRUB
command shell. Then run these:

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> setup (hd0)
grub> quit

Reboot, and you'll be able to boot Edgy. The hd values tell GRUB where the
root filesystem is, so if that is /dev/hda3, then use hd0,2. That means first
hard disk, third partition, since GRUB starts counting from zero.

The GRUB manual is here
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/index.html

and my awesomest Linux Cookbook has a good GRUB chapter. :)

--
Carla Schroder