[Techtalk] double installation of Ubuntu and grub

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Feb 6 21:49:11 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 06 February 2007 13:16, Roberta Gallini wrote:
> I experimented a bit with my linux box.
> I have a running installation of Ubuntu Edgy Eft in one partition of
> the main hard disk with the Home directory on another disk.
> In the this distro's menu.lst. there are only the lines referring to
> this installation.
> I repartitioned the main drive and made room for another installation
> of Dapper 64bit and this installation created a menu.lst containing
> both the distros.
> Now I have some questions concerning this situation.

> 2) Should I add other Kernels to the Edgy installation (now it's the
> 386 flavour, but I would like to install also the k7 one) the new
> lines would show up in the other menu.lst?

I believe Ubuntu automatically creates GRUB menu entries when you install new
kernels. If it doesn't, they are easy to add manually.

> 3) If I erase the Dapper installation presently "presiding" over the
> boot, the computer would start with the Edgy installation and its own
> grub?

No, not if your current /boot/grub/menu.lst is in the Dapper root partition.
But you can easily restore GRUB from a bootable Linux CD if you wipe out
Dapper.

--
Carla Schroder