[Techtalk] Quick question, I hope?

Figaro ynegorp at charter.net
Fri Dec 21 15:44:37 UTC 2007

Wim De Smet wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Dec 19, 2007 11:11 PM, Figaro <ynegorp at charter.net> wrote:
>> Hello all.
>> I need to use a Debian system for a few days that is not my own,
>> therefore has some configs. that are quite different than one is used
>> to. What I need to do is reset system wide locale. I have done the
>> dpkg-reconfigure locales, and locale-gel all (as root), rebooted.
>
> dpkg-reconfigure locales should generate locales.

I'm presently regenerating all the avail. locales, then will do as you
suggest.
I'm curious how the thing was changed in the first place.I've never had
a Knoppix install set anything like it:charset=ANSI_X3.4-1968 (though
one did get Ukrainian install once by dumb-thumbing while using the
install program.. very interesting and pretty set of characters, too)!!

OOPS! Yes, I intended to type locale-gen.
I will try the dpkg-reconfigure with the setting to none. At the point
that one is asked for a default to set to I usually go with en_US.utf8
or en_US.iso885915. I will set to none and see what happens. Then try to
set to "c" and see what that does.

I was just informed that a person doing a lot of embedded dev. work was
using this machine (printer processor stuff) last. This may explain some
 things ;-).
I remember that we used to have a one size fits all script that dpkg
could be commanded that would take all the keyboard charcter maps,
locale, and font stuff back to stock debian installation dialogs. But I
sure cannot seem to remember what we did! Must be ALZ setting in!
'Course in those days we didn't have the built-in possibility to run as
many language options without a vast amount of custom script work.. and
even in the CAD world most of our documentation was done in .ps or .eps
and plain ascii text. Anyway..
Thank you.
matthew

>> -------------------snip---------------------------------------------------------------------