[Techtalk] syslog and TCP

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 12:02:04 UTC 2007

Hi,

On Dec 19, 2007 8:45 AM, Chris Henderson <henders254 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Suse box running syslog-ng as a log server and and I tested a
> suse client to log in there and that works fine: both client and
> server are syslog-ng.
>
> However: when I try to log a box that only has syslog (not syslog-ng),
> it doesn't work. I guess this is because syslog on the client box is
> listeninig on UDP and not TCP.
>
> My question: is there any way I can get /etc/syslog.conf to listen to TCP or get
> syslog.conf to log message on the syslog-ng box running TCP?

I'm not sure what you are trying to do. Do you want a normal syslog to
be the server and a syslog-ng as client? AFAIK regular syslog only
understands UDP and syslog-ng can do both, so either you need to tell
syslog-ng to listen to UDP or tell syslog to listen to UDP and
syslog-ng to forward via UDP.

greets,
Wim