[Techtalk] Age-old cron problem

Nicoya Helm nicoya at nicoya.org
Mon Dec 10 01:40:21 UTC 2007

   I've encountered this problem before, but didn't really need to solve
   it, so didn't.  This time, I do.
   It is the age-old cron dilemma of scheduling things to repeat in ways
   like "every n-day day of the nth week of the month" or "every other
   n-day of the week".  For example, the 3rd Friday of every month.  Or,
   my specific goal, every other Sunday.
   I've seen many discussions on the internet, but few really address the
   problem.  Most just say "Well, cron can't do that".  So I thought I'd
   check in with the 'chix.
   It also occurred to me that mention (and hopefully solution) of this
   dilemma might be good for the upcoming Linux Cookbook revision.
   ~~~Nicoya...
   ---KC0VVR---
   "It is never too late to be what you might have been." --George Eliot