[Techtalk] killed my xserver

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Sat Dec 8 09:35:43 UTC 2007

Maria McKinley wrote:
> Conor Daly wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 08:42:24AM -0800 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
>> Maria McKinley thought:

>>> Is this different than doing dpkg-reconfigure?
>> Dunno.  I'm not debian-literate, coming from an RH / fedora background.
>>  From what I know about debian, I would have thought it would but you
>> never know.
>>
>> That said, your fonts problem may be the real issue...
>>
>> Conor
>
> Well, I think I have things working now, for the most part. Basically I
> just kept reconfiguring and installing until I got it to work. It wasn't
> entirely random, I was using hints from googling, but mostly it was very
> unsatisfying detective work, and I am not sure what finally did it. X
> has got to be one of the most frustrating things with linux. Almost as
> bad as trying to figure out networking on a windoze machine. ;-)
>
> I do have a strange question, though. Normally I start x by doing
> /etc/init.d/gdm start. While troubleshooting, however, I was just doing
> startx. Well, once I had x working I didn't know how to kill it. I tried
>   a few different things, and finally managed to kill it, but now gdm
> won't start, because it thinks gdm is already running. There are no gdm
> or x processes running anymore. Any ideas how to convince gdm there it
> isn't running?

Oh, good grief. I just did /etc/init.d/gdm restart. Why I couldn't
achieve the same thing doing /etc/init.d/gdm stop followed by
/etc/init.d/gdm start is really beyond me, but there you go...

Problems solved, and remind me not to upgrade anything with an x in it
anytime in the near future.

thanks,
maria