[Techtalk] netatalk pam and ldap

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Tue Aug 21 01:00:58 UTC 2007

Hello,

I am having a hard time getting netatalk to work. When I try to use it,
I am told unknown username:

Aug 20 16:53:29 maude afpd[9927]: uams_dhx_pam.c: unknown username

So it seems to be using the pam module ok to contact an ldap database.
But, if I use ldapsearch, using the default ldap server, I have no
problem finding the username. Can pam be trying to use a different ldap
database than ldapsearch? I don't see how this is possible, but nothing
else makes sense either...

Anybody have a deeper understanding of how pam and ldap interact that
could give me some troubleshooting pointers?

thanks,
maria