[Techtalk] mountpoints

Isabelle Hurbain isabelle.hurbain at pasithee.fr
Sat Aug 4 08:04:41 UTC 2007

Le Fri, 3 Aug 2007 17:00:55 -0700,
Raquel <raquel at thericehouse.net> a écrit :

> > /lab/lab_mac is mounted onto macs regularly via afp, but the rest
> > of lab  is only exported via nfs, so I thought it might be better
> > to have them  separate. But maybe your right, and it doesn't
> > really make a difference.
> >
> > ~m
>
> I guess that I'm "old school".  I don't like the idea of one big
> partition just for the simple reason that if something fills it up
> (like a runaway log) you're "dead".
>
> Why not:
> /dev/hdb1	/lab
> /dev/hdb2	/lab_mac

Yup, seems the way to go. If you make
/dev/hdb1 /lab
/dev/hdb2 /lab/lab_mac
exporting only /lab and not /lab/lab_mac in NFS is a bit more
complicated as you have to excluse /lab/lab_mac. Regarding NFS, I prefer
to keep it as simple as possible - there are enough ways it doesn't work
to avoid adding some more :o)

Isa