[Techtalk] mountpoints

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Fri Aug 3 22:19:12 UTC 2007

Hi yet again!

Sometimes I think this list would be inactive if it weren't for me... ;-)

I have a question about mountpoints and partitions. I have a disk that
is currently one partition and is mounted as /lab. I am moving this data
to a new disk, and I was thinking about dividing it into two partitions,
but one would be essentially mounting onto the other,

/dev/hdb1	/lab
/dev/hdb2	/lab/lab_mac

Is this a bad idea? Is there a better way to do this, so that I preserve
the current directory structure, but make two partitions on the new
drive, or am I better off just leaving it one partition?

thanks a bunch,
maria