[Techtalk] RE: Email service that does graylisting/razor/spamfiltering/etc?

Rob McEwen rob at PowerViewSystems.com
Tue Apr 10 11:09:24 UTC 2007

Kelly,

I provide just such a service. It does everything you've asked except not
the challenge/response. Additionally, I'd be reluctant to take on a client
who required "catch-all" accounts, or, as you described *@domain1.com
...because this can place a tremendous burden on a spam filter. For example,
in testing, one of my clients for whom I provide this service would have had
40 times the number of their combined hams/spams in volume of mail if
catch-all is turned on, due to dictionary attacks alone. (In case you missed
that, this would be a 40,000% increase in volume resulting from allowing
dictionary attacks through!)

But here are the upsides:

(1) My filtering is of such high quality that you won't miss not having the
challenge/response. (IMO, challenge/response is for wimpy spam filters!)

(2) Even though I don't allow "catch-all" accounts, (a.) I can turn
"catch-all" on for short periods of time if that would help in "finding"
lost aliases that you'd forgotten (b.) Extra "throw-away" aliases attached
to the same e-mail account are unlimited and do NOT increase my prices.

(3) I've been heavily involved in SURBL (and to a lesser extent, URIBL) for
years and, therefore, I've worked towards a quality of filtering that far
exceeds the major "famous" providers, both in terms of spam caught and legit
mail not caught! While I use SpamAssassin as a part of my filtering, most of
my filtering is custom written and I'm beating SA's "out of the box"
configuration by a wide margin.

E-mail me directly (off-list) if you are interested and for pricing!