[Techtalk] BUG: soft lockup detected on CPU#0!

Doc Nielsen docnielsen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 14:59:59 UTC 2007

On 4/7/07, David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk> wrote:
> A friend of mine bought a Lenovo N100 laptop computer about 4 months
> ago.  This has twin processors, and came with Ubuntu 6.06 and Windows XP
> installed on it.  She uses Linux now, loves it, and regrets having paid
> extra to have XP installed.  It is certainly a lovely machine.

I think Lenovo has a return policy on software that allows you us get
it refunded.
It's worth looking into.

> Unfortunately, occasionally it goes into mega-go-slow mode.  When this
> happened yesterday I logged into her machine and, after looking at "top"
> etc. I found the following at the end of the 'dmesg' output.
[snip]

Looks like swapper is swapping where it either shouldn't or couldn't.
It also points to a IRQ which might be shared.
Perhaps a device or driver is acting out of place,
causing trouble where swapper was working.

Did you compile the kernel or did you download it?

Please provide more info about the system,
like /proc/version, /proc/cpuinfo, lspci, free
and a dump of dmesg before and after the BUG occurs.
Remember to http://pastebin.com the info and link it to us.

-Doc

However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced