[Techtalk] DMZ and iptables

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Apr 4 20:20:02 UTC 2007

I've gone all wacko and insecure over my iptables rules, which I do on a
regular basis. Here's the deal: a 3-port router with:

WAN
LAN - 192.168.1.0/24
DMZ

I want tight controls on traffic between the LAN and DMZ. So I need two
FORWARD rules, then INPUT rules for specific services, correct? Like this
example for a Web server in the DMZ:

$ipt -A FORWARD -i $LAN_IFACE -o $DMZ_IFACE -m state --state
NEW,ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

$ipt -A FORWARD -i $DMZ_IFACE -o $LAN_IFACE -m state --state
ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT

$ipt -A INPUT -p tcp -i $DMZ_IFACE -s 192.168.1.0/24 --dport 80 -j ACCEPT

--
Carla Schroder