[Techtalk] reality check from networking gurus wanted

Lisa Bogue lisab at bluesunsa.com
Fri Sep 22 23:12:09 UTC 2006

Dear Carla-

I didn't read the article (lazy and tired on a friday evening) but
here are the definitions that I had in my Cisco CCNA class.  I think
they may be useful here.

Static NAT - allows one-to-one mapping between local and global
addresses.  This requires a real IP number for every machine being
translated.

Dynamic NAT - maps unregistered (local) IP addresses to a pool of
routable addresses.  This limits the number of machines that can be
on the internet at a time based on the number of addresses in the
pool.  It is still a one-to-one mapping, but the addresses
dynamically get allocated every time a machine requests a session.
This was a common schema for businesses about 8 years ago.

Overloading (or PAT) = maps multiple, unregistered IP addresses to a
single registered IP address.

Basically, since you have many addresses mapping to one routable IP,
how does the router determine who gets the answering packet?  It uses
the port number to identify which machine should get it.  In the
olden days (8-10 years ago) we used to call these devices nat/pat.
For whatever reason, common vernacular shortened this to "nat."  The
author is probably correct, but it's a point that only routing geeks
would get into.

HTH-
Lisa