[Techtalk] Using Evolution and Pine

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Sun Oct 29 21:22:12 UTC 2006

On Sunday 29 October 2006 12:14, Mary Gardiner wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 29, 2006, David Sumbler wrote:
> > Does anyone know if any of the text-based e-mail clients, such as the
> > ones I have mentioned, are suitable to use in conjunction with
> > Evolution (but not at the same time, of course)?  Obviously their mail
> > file format needs to be the same as Evolution's, and I don't want one
> > program to screw things up for the other.
>
> I believe mutt and Evolution can both read the Maildir format. Honestly
> though, the most common way to get two different mail clients to share a
> mail account is to get them both to talk to it via IMAP which handles
> locking and such on the server.

Another option, if you're using POP mail, is set your accounts to 'leave mail
on server.' Then you'll have duplication between the two mail clients, and
they probably won't stay synchronized with each other, but at least you won't
lose any mail. You'll have to remember to delete messages from the server
occasionally. It won't matter if you use maildirs or mbox, since the two
clients are independent of each other.

I do this on the occasions when I'm traveling and need access to email. I
don't care for Webmail, so I set up a mail client on my laptop and do
the 'leave mail on server' hack. I also is copy sent-mail to myself so I have
copies on both mail clients. It's rather kludgy, but it does the job.