[Techtalk] computer hangs, underlying clock problems? (ubuntu edgy)(also observed with gentoo)

Finne Boonen finne at cassia.be
Sun Oct 15 20:47:52 UTC 2006

Meep,

I have a very curious problem with my computer. Programs 'hang' (X
becomes kinda unworkable because the windows don't take new commands
anymore), programs run on the console wait before executing, often
needing a new enter (the key).

Some digging has shown that my clock is acting bizar, jumping
backwards in time and then forwards again and backwards again (see
http://hekla.Rave.org/temp/datum.txt  for the output of while true; do
date >> datum.txt; done):

Sun Oct 15 17:59:44 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:46 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:47 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:48 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:44 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:45 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:46 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:47 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:48 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:49 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:50 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:51 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:47 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:48 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:49 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:50 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:51 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:47 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:48 CEST 2006
Sun Oct 15 17:59:49 CEST 2006

(all of the above repeated several times before moving on to the next line)

I use a medion md41300 laptop which has a dual core Pentium IV 3.06Ghz
processor, I think this might have something to do with how the kernel
deals with dual coar processors but have not yet managed to figure out
what the problem was. The kernel that comes with a standard ubuntu
drake installation didn't have this problem, the one that comes with
an edgy installation does. I've encountered the same problem before on
gentoo, but there I solved it by going to an earlier kernel, which i'm
not keen to do now as some of my fancy keys finally work now.

any help appreciated,
Finne/henna

--
"Maybe you knew early on that your track went from point A to B, but
unlike you I wasn't given a map at birth!" Alyssa, "Chasing Amy"