[Techtalk] dying hard drive

Raquel raquel at thericehouse.net
Thu Nov 30 23:51:06 UTC 2006

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 15:18:58 -0800
Maria McKinley <maria at shadlen.org> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Asking for more advice... I have a disk that is definitely on its
> way  out. When I boot, it has numerous unrecoverable errors (in
> the /usr  partition), but it does boot up and run. What is the
> best/easiest way  for me to transfer stuff to a new drive? In the
> past, I've had drives  fail more drastically, so that I have to
> re-install, and then I pull off  config and user stuff off of
> backup. This time my old disk is still  bootable, so seems like I
> should be able to just move stuff over to the  new disk before it
> fails completely. Would love advice on best way to  precede...
>
> thanks again,
> Maria

I don't know how to do it, but I've heard others talk about
installing the new drive and then mounting it and then use the "dd"
command to copy sector for sector over to the new drive.  I think
that in order for it to work both drives have to be the same size?

Sorry.  That's all I even come close to knowing ... and then I don't
even know that.

--
Raquel