[Techtalk] dying hard drive

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Thu Nov 30 23:18:58 UTC 2006

Hi there,

Asking for more advice... I have a disk that is definitely on its way
out. When I boot, it has numerous unrecoverable errors (in the /usr
partition), but it does boot up and run. What is the best/easiest way
for me to transfer stuff to a new drive? In the past, I've had drives
fail more drastically, so that I have to re-install, and then I pull off
config and user stuff off of backup. This time my old disk is still
bootable, so seems like I should be able to just move stuff over to the
new disk before it fails completely. Would love advice on best way to
precede...

thanks again,
Maria