[Techtalk] PHP question

Almut Behrens almut-behrens at gmx.net
Tue Nov 28 19:29:14 UTC 2006

On Tue, Nov 28, 2006 at 01:01:14PM +0100, Chantal Rosmuller wrote:

> I'm working on a mailform and it's kind of working but I still have 2
> problems:
>
> 1) I can't get the From header right, when I receive the test mail the sender
> is apache
> 2) The BCC headers (there's more then one) are not stripped.

I'm not using PHP much myself, but more than once I've seen other
people having all kinds of similar problems when the -t option was
missing from the sendmail commandline in their PHP setup.  Roughly
speaking, -t turns on "envelope processing" (with most MTAs), and
should thus at least take care of the Bcc: issue. With a bit of luck,
it might also solve the From: problem...

So, one thing to check would be what sendmail commandline is configured
in your php.ini file. (This command is being invoked behind the scenes
when you call the PHP mail() function.)  IIRC, it's "sendmail_path=...".
Alternatively, you can specify a fifth argument to mail(), containing
the options that you want to have passed through to the commandline.

Another thing which _might_ help with the From: problem is to set up
apache as a trusted MTA user, so an address different from real
submitting user is allowed -- not entirely sure though (I'm no mail
guru...)  The docs of the MTA you're using should tell you how to
configure the latter.

Good luck,
Almut