[Techtalk] mailman topics

Terri terri at zone12.com
Tue Nov 7 16:14:46 UTC 2006

Quoting Conor Daly <conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org>:
> Just a quick one for the mailman admin types.  Is there an easy way in
> mailman to assign messages from unsubscribed senders to a particular topic
> in a mailing list?
>
> We have a list that is open to non-subscribers but we want to flag such
> messages so that those users who wish may opt no to receive messages from
> non-subscribers.  It seems obvious that the use of mailman topics would
> fit the requirement if it was easy to assign a topic to such messages.

I don't *think* there's an easy way built in right now, but it
probably wouldn't be hard to build one in.

Mailman assigns messages to topics based on a scan of the "top" of the
message.  (I forget exactly, but I believe it's the headers + the
first few lines.  It may be only specific headers.) All you need to do
is make it so that non-subscribers have something common in the top of
their message, and put that into your topic regex.

However, I'm fairly certain that once a message is sent to
subscribers, there's nothing in the message that indicates that it was
from a non-subscriber.  Again, I could be wrong, I don't usually delve
into this part of mailman... but even if I'm right, it should be
possible to insert a "Topic: unsubscribed" header in when appropriate.
  Mailman's already rewriting some headers, so it should have all the
necessary bits and pieces around, and we know it can figure out who's
not subscribed.

  Terri