[Techtalk] how small will Gentoo go?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Nov 7 00:17:20 UTC 2006

hey all,

How small can you make a Gentoo installation? I want to roll my own
firewall/WAP/router Linux, and I want it to be as small as possible, and to
be easily customizable and upgradeable. Which sounds like Gentoo. Pyramid
Linux, Pebble, and other WAP Linuxes weigh in from 50-128 megabytes. How does
Gentoo compare? Here's a sample feature list:

-iptables
-openvpn
-support only for installed devices
-openssh
-stunnel
-dnsmasq
-maybe some kind of public WAP frontend like Wifidog or nocatauth
-ntpd
-the usual gnu tools and essential system administration tools, perhaps some
net tools

thanks!