[Techtalk] gui help cross platform

Helen hrosseau at rogers.com
Thu May 25 00:02:20 EST 2006

Hi  all
First, I'll state I am not a programmer and have been assigned this project as a challenge.  I have been working at it for a month and I have one more to go.

I am trying to build a web based application that will telnet into a terminal,  query the terminal and then spit the results out to a web page.  This is supposed to end up being a test tool for our technicians.  I originally thought I would be using linux or unix.  I have been informed I need to be able to do this on a windows based laptop instead.  I have installed cygwin, perl, tk/tcl and expect on the laptop.
I have written the scripts in expect and tested them and they work fine.

The problem where I need help is trying to get the expect script to be activated by a gui button and the results spit back out to a gui. I have asked some of the young programmers in my group if they know how, and the answer is no.  They say it should be possible but they have never done this. Does anyone know where I can find some information or examples.  I also gave it a shot in visual basic, but my knowledge of that is low to none and I can't find a telnet object anywhere.

I am really grasping at straws.  Panic hasn't set in yet.

Helen