[Techtalk] Help with Linux class outline?

Carol Williams carolswilliams at gmail.com
Fri May 19 01:19:53 EST 2006

Hi Leslie,

As a Unix Admin by trade, Here are some things I think would be useful.

1.) Troubleshooting.  -- where to find the common log files, what
commands/tools to use to find the issues. (vmstat, netstat, iostat, mpstat,
etc)
2.) Task scheduling and Automation.
3.) System Security. (How to detect vulnerablilities, detect breakins,
security tools, etc.)
4.) Basic Shell scripting.
5.)  Teach them the TCP/IP  (Physical layer, data layer, transport layer, IP
Addresses, Subnetting, Routing, etc).
6.) The different run levels and how to use LILO.
7.)  Your general Unix System commands that you will be using alot (find,
grep, ls, rm, cd, mkdir, rmdir, vi, ln, ldd, ps, telnet, ftp, rlogin, rsh,
rcp, ssh, scp, etc).

Your user management section doesn't have to be a whole week, an hour at
most, 30 minutes will probably be enough for most to figure out what to do.

As for a project, something like setting up a sendmail server, a DNS server
or samba.

The one book I would recommend is Unix in a Nutshell, it contains 90% of the
command that they will encounter.  I recommend it to all Junior admins and
anybody just starting out in the Unix world.

Carol