threads (was: Re: [Techtalk] really basic debian question)

Gebhard Dettmar gebhard.dettmar at student.hu-berlin.de
Fri Mar 17 20:12:57 EST 2006

On Friday 17 March 2006 01:39, Mary wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006, mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org wrote:
> > [...]
>
> I'm not nearly as concerned as the person who initially complained (I
> doubt many people here are filtering out whole conversations, and you
> *did* get replies), but it is probably *slightly* better to not hit
> reply, but to start an entirely new message. I don't personally consider
> it worth making a fuss about either way, but since you asked for
> clarification... I hope this helps.

I don't filter whole conversations, I only use
'this-list-move-to-list-folder' rules and regexes for spam.
The reason I "complained" is - I keep threads default to closed - that's
why I had never seen this thread if there wasn't one posting mismatched by
my spam regexes. There is also something like 'open threads that contain
new messages' but this is actually no difference to 'open by default'
But anyway, IMHO all sides - those who ask, reply or just read and keep
the list as a kind of knowledge base in their Mail-folders (with
subfolders like 'bash' and so on) - are really better off with the common
way of handling this
Regards Gebhard

--
You are dishonest, but never to the point of hurting a friend.