threads (was: Re: [Techtalk] really basic debian question)

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Fri Mar 17 11:39:18 EST 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006, mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org wrote:
> Not sure what this is in reference to.  I checked the sent-mail copy
> of my initial message and the subject line reads as "was" above, w/o
> Re:.  Definitely its own thread.

You did change the subject line, but by replying to an existing message
and changing the subject line, your mail appears to be part of the
discussion that you hit reply in to many mail readers.

I've put up my own screenshot at
http://users.puzzling.org/users/mary/tmp/thread.png . See how your
message (red arrow) is connected to Carla's unrelated message (green
arrow) to which you presumably hit reply? It didn't appear as its own
discussion and it didn't appear with other new messages at the bottom of
the mail client.

I'm not nearly as concerned as the person who initially complained (I
doubt many people here are filtering out whole conversations, and you
*did* get replies), but it is probably *slightly* better to not hit
reply, but to start an entirely new message. I don't personally consider
it worth making a fuss about either way, but since you asked for
clarification... I hope this helps.

-Mary