threads (was: Re: [Techtalk] really basic debian question)

Gebhard Dettmar gebhard.dettmar at student.hu-berlin.de
Thu Mar 16 21:10:56 EST 2006

On Thursday 16 March 2006 06:04, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
> On 15/03/06 22:54 +0100, Gebhard Dettmar wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Threading means that your mail-client lists every posting according to
> > its subject. To give you an idea how it looks like in a common
> > graphical mail-client I put this screenshot here:
> > http://amor.cms.hu-berlin.de/~h044405q/threads.jpg
> > Once you used it, you'll love it :-)
>
> That is what Outlook and gmail do (possibly Thunderbird). Mutt uses the
> References and In-Reply-To headers for threading.

Oops, sorry, absolutely true. Even TB uses AFAIK the latter - any
mail-client capable of threading uses In-Reply-headers/References. Outlook
sets References correctly but is not capable of threading.
What I wrote makes absolutely no sense - the subject is different but
since the references do the sorting, not the subject, the posting is filed
in the thread the refences point to.
Regards Gebhard
--
All say, "How hard it is that we have to die"--a strange complaint to come
from