[Techtalk] remote SSH and NAT

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Mar 13 05:32:51 EST 2006

On Saturday 11 March 2006 23:13, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Saturday 11 March 2006 22:50, Mary wrote:

> > I tend to set the UserKnownHostsFile option in .ssh/config. So, if we
> > have stinkpad1 and stinkpad2 behind windbag.example.com on ports 22000
> > and 22001
> >
> > Host stinkpad1
> > HostName windbag.example.com
> > Port 22000
> > UserKnownHostsFile ~/.ssh/stinkpad1-knownhosts
> >
> > Host stinkpad2
> > HostName windbag.example.com
> > Port 22001
> > UserKnownHostsFile ~/.ssh/stinkpad2-knownhosts
> >
> > This means it will check completely different files when doing the host
> > key checking.

Yee hawww it works! I've always used ~/.ssh/config files for convenience;

$ ssh stinkpad1

is a lot easier than typing a long command string. But I never figured out how
to manage multiple host keys. This sooooo cool, thank you! And much easier
and saner than the usual over-engineered geek responses to this problem, like
DNS trickery and writing fancy scripts to automate re-writing known_hosts
with every login. :)