[Techtalk] Re: Switching resolutions when I switch to an external monitor

Jean-Daniel Pauget jd at disjunkt.com
Sat Mar 11 01:21:13 EST 2006

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 05:09:21PM +1100, Mary wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2006, John Clarke wrote:
> > Have you tried doing it like this?:
> >
> >     SubSection "Display"
> >         Depth           24
> >         Modes           "1024x768" "1280x1024"
> >     EndSubSection
>
> I have done this, but:
>
> $ xrandr
>  SZ:    Pixels          Physical       Refresh
> *0   1024 x 768    ( 342mm x 271mm )  *60
>
> And Ctrl-Alt-+ and Ctrl-Alt-- do not change the resolution.

    can you provide the output of the X server that should stand around
    /var/log/XFree86.0.log or alike ?
    from reading it we'll probably learn why the 1280x1024 resolution was
    pushed out of the available list.

    also, if you can, try switching to external screen _before_ X11/Xorg
    starts. maybe you'll get some other monitor detection by the server and
    thus get more video modes available. please provide the X server log
    when starting with the external screen already switched, it might be
    different from the previous one with built-in lcd screen.

--
    Jean-Daniel Pauget

    Tél: +33 (0) 676 952 746
    2, rue André PELCA