[Techtalk] Switching resolutions when I switch to an external monitor

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Wed Mar 8 22:11:19 EST 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 01:52:45PM +1100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Mary thought:
> Hi all,
>
> Lifebook. I quite often hook it up to an external monitor when I'm at a desk
> and would like it to switch resolutions when I press the "switch to external"
> function key

What does the 'switch to external' key trigger?  Does it run something or
is it entirely hardware based?  If it runs something or if linux can see
the keypress, you could use some kind of

ln -f xorg_external.conf xorg.conf
telinit 3
telinit 5

and

ln -f xorg_local.conf xorg.conf

where xorg_external and xorg_local contain the relevant display
definitions.  Alternatively, is there any way to use xinerama to perform
this kind of function?

Conor {who has no laptop or xinerama setup to even poke at this sort of
       thing...}
--
Conor Daly <conor.daly at cod.homelinux.org>
http://www.geekcode.com/ http://www.ebb.org/ungeek/