[Techtalk] client port numbers on windoze

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 29 16:24:08 UTC 2006

>From: Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com>

>I don't have a windows box at the moment to test this- if my aging memory
>serves me, doesn't windows routinely use privileged port - <1024 - for client
>connections, like when you SSH into a linux server?

Doesn't seem to... I've got 30 different client connections open right now from
my Windows XP box (including using PuTTY to SSH different places), and none
of them are originating from privileged ports.

Further, back ten years or so ago, when I first got to where I work now, the
"firewall" here consisted of a filter on the router telling it to disallow packets
going to privileged ports on our "inside" machines from outside.  With a couple
thousand Windows machines on our network, if Windows routinely used
privileged ports, tons of people would've been screaming at us about things
not working.

--
Travis Casey