[Techtalk] Some Help please

Mary Gardiner mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Jun 26 02:13:22 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006, The Gasman wrote:
> I am relatively new to Linux. I have SuSe Linux 10.1 installed and I
> have downloaded Python. The download is in a tar file. I am knew at
> extracting things from tar files. I need to know how to extract
> Python. I have a Gnome terminal, an X terminal, and a Konsole
> terminal. I need to know the commands, step-by-step to extract Python
> so I can use it. Some help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Before we give you this information, can you tell us whether you have
considered installing a pre-built SuSE package of Python. It is
generally better to install pre-made distribution packages when
available: it's faster, they've been tested against the distribution,
they are installed in a way that's compatible with the distribution,
they warn you about other packages that they need and that need them and
they can be uninstalled cleanly. I don't use SuSE myself, but I'm sure
someone can describe a way to install the SuSE build of Python from
packages.

-Mary