[Techtalk] help meee epson scanner Dapper die hotplug die

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 01:39:30 EST 2006

On 6/7/06, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 June 2006 6:46 am, Wim De Smet wrote:
> aren't
> > >
> > > Wouldn't it be nice if they actually wrote documentation for this
> > > stuff when they yanked old working systems out and replaced them
> > > with brand new systems? But in any case, don't waste your time
> > > looking for the nonexistent sekkrit hotplug documentation, when
> > > what you need is the nonexistent sekkrit udev documentation.
> >
> > (sry for not putting this one in with the other mail)
> > I just checked and under debian there's /usr/share/doc/udev which
> > seems to hold all the information you really need. (including how to
> > disable udev, but probably not advisable on ubuntu who knows what
> > it'll break) Ubuntu mainly relies on its wiki of course, I had a look
> > around there but didn't see any user docs for udev. I did find this
> > thread[1] on the forums but they don't offer up a solution. Seems
> > ubuntu kind of messed up in the udev department. :-(
> >

> Wim, thanks, but either you're smarter than me or you have a more complete set
> of docs. I have:
>
> changelog.Debian.gz
> changelog.gz
> copyright
> examples
> FAQ.gz
> README.gz
> RELEASE-NOTES.gz
>
> There isn't much in there for end users. Anyway, I have a better idea what to
> research now, which is something!

Hmm yes that does seem weird. I've got:
changelog.Debian.gz
changelog.gz
copyright
examples/
FAQ.gz
NEWS.Debian.gz
README.Debian.gz
README.gz
README.vol_id
RELEASE-NOTES.gz
TODO
writing_udev_rules/

But then at ubuntu they have the annoying habit of chucking out
documentation if it's not useful to their versions anymore (I read
somewhere they changed the debian udev quite involvingly) and then not
putting a new version in that explains it better. Could be that the
new docs are a new addition of course, I'm not enough of a debian
wizard to find out which version exactly ubuntu took and what docs it
did include. If it helps, the .html file that is in there seems to be
this:
http://www.reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html

Alternatively, they might have actually created a udev-doc package or
something like that. Can't really find anything like that in
debian-sid at the moment.

Hope that helps,
Wim