[Techtalk] Bind DNS issues...

Walt pippin at freeshell.org
Sat Jul 29 21:15:22 UTC 2006

Okay, so I go home Friday night from work and
everything is working fine with the DNS on two
servers at our office. Come in this morning, and
find that domains hosted on those servers are
no longer resolving.

The named process appears to be up and running
without problems, but dig/nslookup won't even give
results about the domains on the machines and I
cannot ping the domains from inside or outside the
network! I have no clue what has changed! This
seems crazy and I have no errors anywhere to try
to trace to some kind of source!

One box is Gentoo, the other is Fedora Core 4,
mostly updated to core 5.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Also, what about
using djbdns? Anyone recommend that over Bind?

Thanks!
Walt

-~

     Humankind cannot bear very much reality.
                         T.S. Eliot