[Techtalk] Grub defaults after new kernel image install

Gina Lanik geekgrrl at geekgrrl.priv.at
Tue Jul 25 17:45:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, Jul 25, 2006 at 09:10:53AM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 July 2006 08:33, Gina Lanik wrote:
> > > A slick trick is to use the 'savedefault' option, which probably isn't
> what
> > > you want, but I feel like telling about it anyway. :) If you are
> > > multi-booting or have multiple kernels, GRUB will boot whatever you booted
> > > last, instead of always having the same default. It looks like this:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > I remember seeing this on our Debian boxen. Confused me to no end because
> > -every- stanza had the savedefault option listed, no idea why.
>
> Because it only works with the stanzas that have the 'savedefault' option.
> That lets you exclude the ones you don't want. GRUB is kewl.

I agree - but riddle me this - how would I find out the last booted
kernel/stanza when 'savedefault' is in every one? ;-)
E.g.  three different initrds but the same title? I remember searching like
crazy but couldn't find an answer.

Cheers,

Gina
--
Gina Lanik                      :: LinuxChix member
SysAdmin & DBA                  :: http://www.linuxchix.org/