[Techtalk] ALSA puzzles

Patricia Fraser trish at thefrasers.org
Mon Jul 24 20:44:53 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I didn't think it was such a production to have two sound sources in
Alsa; load the modules, put the two things into the .asoundrc... I am
stuck. I have a Thinkpad T30 with the Intel 8x0 on-board, and I want to
add a USB headset. However, Alsaconf can only ever see the on-board
Intel, even though the kernel is seeing the headset; and if I put the
modules in modprobe.conf, they get loaded (I check with lsmod) - but
there is only one device! If I do alsamixer -c1 I get "function
snd_ctl_open failed for hw:1: No such file or directory", which tells
me there *is* no card 1; I put the USB headset module (snd-usb-audio)
first, and the intel8x0 second, so the usb is the one being ignored -
card0 should be usb, but it's actually the intel.

Phew! I hope that makes some sense. Does anyone have *any* source of
penetrable - not like the stuff on the ALSA website/wiki, which is
driving me nuts - documentation or a HowTo they can point me to? I am
going around in circles... (having fun, but.)

Cheers!

--
Trish Fraser, GWRB5 RP8C3
ma jul 24 21:39:07 BST 2006