[Techtalk] unix to linux migration- why?

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Fri Jul 14 23:20:56 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jul 14, 2006 at 12:22:25PM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:
> My little geekpersons, I am researching why anyone would want to ditch their
> nice muscular Unix server- AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, whatever-the-hey- for some
> ratty lil hippie OS like Linux or one of the BSDs. I will stipulate that
> Linux/BSD are proven as good enough for just about anything; so what other
> reasons would compel such a move?

Speed.  There was a point at which we were considering moving our
software to Linux from Solaris because clients needed to do a lot of
number-crunching (it's optimization software) and the Solaris machines
were *slow*.  Switching to a 64-bit machine running Linux -- or even a
32-bit machine, because x86 processors are still faster than Solaris
machines.  But then Solaris came out with Solaris 10...

We are still moving our machines from Solaris to Linux, though, but it's
for the "cost" reason -- the hardware is much cheaper.

However, since Solaris 10 does also run x86 machines, I'm not sure but
we'll still be having a mixed Unix-Linux environment.  Linux is
friendlier and nicer for users and admins, but Solaris is still reliable
for servers.

As for the positive rant about HP-UX, yeah, I believe it. I used to work
for HP and the obsessiveness about quality assurance HP had I have never
seen with anyone else I've worked for.

Kathryn Andersen