[Techtalk] NTFS Linux rescue disk?

mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu Jan 26 13:10:02 EST 2006

Chris, that so did it -

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I've been obsessed with this for over 24
hours now, and got very close on my own, but never there, until I got back
to a computer I could log into.  I saw your note, it rang a litlte bell
and there in the mess of cds and floppies left behind by our irresponsible
erstwhile and now gone support tech, there was Bart.  There was also an XP
startup disk, but I could not get it to give me the c: drive directories.

What I did was really silly and the last thing I wanted was these
..people.. to log that.  I'd renamed NTDIRECT.com, thinking it was some
sort of spyware, only to find that Windoze didn't just complain, it got
apoplectic.  Bart just came through like a champ and I was able to rename
NTDIRECT back to itself, I have my system back and no one here's the wiser
- it was just a "crash" I was able to fix.

This has been a very frustrating 24 hours, but now that it's over and
everything looks to be okay, it's amazing what I've learned through this.
I can now get into NT boxes, thanks to the Linux Rescue CD's NTFS password
resetter and of course Bart, I have the genuine Gentoo based linux dual
booter that I've always wanted for my laptop and I even found a plug-in a
drive for the lappie.

Best of all, I only had to confess to a tolerant group of genuinely smart
folks what I'd been dumb enough to do, rather than - well, them here.

This list is a godsend - thanks to all of you.

Kathleen