[Techtalk] NTFS Linux rescue disk?

mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org mgmonza at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed Jan 25 15:24:46 EST 2006

Hello, all,

Another question about NTFS here, from a slightly more urgent perspective
- for the first time in a year, I did something to my laptop that will not
let me get to a drive and it will not boot.  I thought of using Knoppix,
but the site says NTFS compatability is *coming*, which I think means it's
not here.

Any recommendations on a Linux distro that can be used as rescue disk for
Windows XP on a laptop?  I'd just use the install cds, only ours are set
up by a central org. that won't release them, isn't equiped to handle
questions beyond the most basic desktop support and logs, usually
inaccurately, every contact with the "support" desk, for those technical
people like myself outside the core IS group.  I've been through that "the
guys trade info with each other, but we log as 'help' every contact with a
female as help we gave the poor thing" and am not about to do it here.

(I even had one incident logged as help given me where I told the official
pc support guy how to eliminate an invalid automatic a drive seek).

Sorry about the griping - it's late and I'm frustrated at this setup here.
Any help would be appreciated, but not expected, given that this is
basically a Windows question, albeit with a linux twist.

Oh, and I lose computer accerss at 12 midnight (US EST) and would have to
check answers the next day after that.

Thanks in advance -

Kathleen