[Techtalk] CGI page from Accounting Server

Dan dan at cellectivity.com
Mon Jan 23 23:41:07 EST 2006

> The Accounting database and the Intranet live on two different servers (on
> the same LAN, different static IPs).  The test-program I wrote is on the
> Accounting Server but ideally, we would want the CGI page to reside on the
> Intranet server.

Unless your case is unusual for some reason, the standard choice is to
put all the Perl code on the Intranet server. This is the simplest
choice and usually the most robust as well.

I've never used Informix, but I believe that it (like almost every
database) can be accessed over the network as easily as on the local
machine, provided that you have configured the security settings to
allow this. If you're worried about other people with an account on the
Intranet server accessing the accounting database, make sure you choose
a good database password, and make sure nobody can read the Perl code
that contains it!

IBM's documentation on Informix client-server architecture (i.e.,
talking to the server over the network) can be found here:
   http://tinyurl.com/bqnye
But it's very verbose and short on useful examples.   :-(

--
 [Larry] Wall [inventor of Perl] believes that people think about
 things in different ways, that natural languages accommodate many