[Techtalk] windoze-only ISPs?

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Sun Jan 22 13:20:01 EST 2006

Carla Schroder wrote:

>Has anyone heard of, or had dealings with, an ISP that connects only to
>Windows customers? Most of them don't support Linux, but you can still get
>online, you just don't get any help from the ISP. I'm wondering if there are
>any that can't even connect except with Windows.
>
>thankee kindly!

There's still some. They either use proprietary software to interface
your machine to their network or they probe your machine for the OS
being run.

On the proprietary front, those who go waaayyyyy back with CompuServe,
the original compuserve.com has/had a quirky method of adjusting a 7 bit
transfer protocol to 8 bit ppp. This is the "CompuServe Classic" service
with includes pop3 mail service. I've run that for many, many years.
Customers have e-mail accounts of the form

frogstar_at_compuserve.com

There's no official support for Linux, but since the service is so
ancient (originating circa 1969), it included connections to DOS, VMS,
Unix, Apple (pre-OS/X) and so on. User forums had other software or help
files that would leverage you up to internet connections and their
online services with other OS's. Main thing was that you had to get to
the forums with a computer running DOS/Windows or Apple/Macintosh to
find out how. There is still a BIG difference in what you see connecting
from the web on the internet and connecting from inside with their
custom software.

The new CompuServe 2000 service is a modified AOL account with IMAP mail
service. Lots of problems with interfaces et al as there is with AOL.
Customers have e-mail accounts of the form

frogstar_at_csi.com

AOL is the most persnickety, but there are some others. I just can't
remember any at the moment.

Alvin