[Techtalk] Reusable ADSL modem?

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at thenilgiris.com
Thu Jan 19 22:50:36 EST 2006

On Thursday 19 Jan 2006 3:35 pm, Dan wrote:
> I'm planning on getting broadband at home, which requires getting
> an ADSL modem (and it's going to be a box external to the
> computer). What are the chances that the modem that works with
> one company will work with another?

a good chance if it is the same protocol. but it is better to ask
your provider what models he supports. And make sure he supports
linux!

> As a related question, I assume that the modem connects by
> dialing the provider's phone number. How is the phone number
> configured?

no dialing involved - it is like a leased line. Once you connect
your phone line to it, a green light will come on showing you are
connected to the server. All you need to do is to put in your
username and password into pppoe config and start adsl service
(this varies according to distro and according to the exact
protocol that the provider follows)

--
regards
kg