[Techtalk] multimedia under linux

Eeva Järvinen eevaj at welho.com
Thu Jan 19 06:58:13 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:33:51AM +0100, sondenkind wrote:
> but for i am trying to get into linux i tried using it via wine under
> fedora. that worked fine so far but i am not very happy with fedora in
> general, especially concerning its capabilites of multimedia support.
> therefor i wanted to ask which distribution of linux  is most apt to
> make music with.

I've used Fedora as a base for light video editing, plus some
multitrack editing+mastering: I used Planet CCRMA's repositories at
http://ccrma.stanford.edu/software/ to install everything with
synaptic (synaptic is part of Planet CCRMA; you can get everything
from that one place IME).

I haven't used sequencing software so I'm no good on that, but I've
found ardour very useful for multi-track editing and cinelerra decent
for video.

There's a pretty steep learning curve for learning all that stuff
since especially ardour+jack is pretty complete piece of software and
thus rather complicated with all of its patchbays, routing and
editable real-time filtering stuff.

Eeva