[Techtalk] Mutt reply to multiple messages

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Sat Jan 14 05:16:34 EST 2006

Conor Daly writes:
> Using mutt, you can tag a group of messages, hit 'reply' (to list
> naturally) and you get the tagged messages quoted with attribution in your
> editor.  Reply and trim as appropriate...

To expand on that:

In the folder view (where you're seeing all the message subjects),
hit t on each message you want included, to tag it.

When you've tagged all the relevant messages, type ;r to reply,
or ;l for list reply, or whatever.  Prefixing ; to any command
will apply that command to all the tagged messages. (It's also
useful when saving groups of messages all at once to the same
folder, using ;s.)

What I miss in mutt compared to UCB Mail, mush and zmail is
a way to add a quoted message to a reply already in progress.
All too often, I'll spend a long time on a reply to some active
thread, and then find that a message has come in that I really
want to include, and there's no straightforward way to add it
(I have to copy or save the message, then insert it into the editor,
then add the appropriate quoting marks).

	...Akkana