[Techtalk] Using kppp etc. as a user

Linda Y. Kuo illini.engineer at att.net
Tue Feb 21 09:36:31 EST 2006

> After a struggle, I have managed to get my winmodem working under both
> Fedora 4 and Ubuntu 5.10. I don't actually need the modem since I
> have a broadband connection, but I wanted to learn how to go about
> setting up a winmodem so that I can eventually install a useful Ubuntu
> system on a computer for a friend who does not have broadband.
>
> However, I haven't yet managed to work out how to get either kppp (in
> Fedora) or the Gnome dialer (in Ubuntu) to function without su-ing or
> sudo-ing. In Fedora I tried setting the setuid bit on /usr/bin/kppp
> (which is a link to /usr/bin/consolehelper), but this only caused kppp
> to fail when I tried to launch it, instead of asking for the root
> password. When, as an alternative, I set setuid on /usr/sbin/kppp, I
> still had to give the root password.
>
> What I should like to do, eventually, is to be able to get the dialler
> to connect automatically whenever a connection is needed, e.g. when
> launching Firefox, and certainly without having to give a password.
> Can someone give me some idea how to achieve this, please?
>
> David
>
> --
>
> david at aeolia.co.uk

I have RH8 installed on my Thinkpad.

This is what I did -->
=====
The solution was a change to the file /etc/pam.d/kppp

I first changed
 auth required /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-
auth
 auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-
auth

that did not work, but I left the change in anyway

I then added
 auth sufficient /lib/security/pam_console.so
to the file

=====

Maybe this will work for you.