[Techtalk] Using kppp etc. as a user

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Feb 21 08:39:06 EST 2006

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006, David Sumbler wrote:
> What I should like to do, eventually, is to be able to get the dialler
> to connect automatically whenever a connection is needed, e.g. when
> launching Firefox, and certainly without having to give a password.
> Can someone give me some idea how to achieve this, please?

 1. Are those programs group executable? For example, plain pppd on my
    system is:

    # ls -l `which pppd`
    -rwsr-xr--  1 root dip 257688 2005-05-28 02:16 /usr/sbin/pppd
          ^ it's group executable

 2. Are you in that group? The command 'id' when run as your normal user
    will tell you what groups you are in. If you are not in that group,
    the "usermod" command with the -G flag should put you in it, eg "usermod
    -G dip mary" would put me in the dip group. (Have a look at "man
    usermod" first and note that you need to list ALL groups you want to be
    in after -G, so make sure you run "id" first and get all the groups
    you're in already to put after -G too).

I expect they will need to have the setuid bit set too because some of
the hardware they need access to is probably restricted to root
privileges.

-Mary