[Techtalk] Satellite Internet

Alvin Goats agoats at compuserve.com
Wed Feb 1 00:33:32 EST 2006

Since this is an international group, what country, state/province are
you in? What's available varies between countries and regional entities
inside the country.

As for the cost:

The transmitters for satellite uplink are expensive. Typically gallium
arsenide power amplifiers (silicon doesn't operate that well at these
high frequencies), the wafers thinned after fab with brittle "air
bridges" that frequently are damaged during the thinning process. You
are paying for that and an extra set of circuitry to transmit as well as
receive, typically in the 12-22 GigaHertz and 27 to 32 GigaHertz
frequencies (consider this to be about the same as 12-22 Gigabit/s and
27-32 Gigabit/s and you might be able to understand the cost better).

Beware that as other people in your satellite viewable area use these
uplinks, you'll start experiencing the same issues that exist with
locall wireless lans with reduced speed, though it should never be as
bad as 14.4k.

Alvin